Hives are reddish and itchy bumps on the skin that can be painful sometimes. Topical hydrocortisone creams can help, but these have preservatives and fragrance that can cause skin irritation. To avoid complications, use something natural like essential oils for hives. Natural remedies for hives like essential oils are safer and more effective than hydrocortisone creams.
The Advantages of Using Essential Oils for Rashes
Essential oils are 100% safe to use. They may have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Their antibacterial properties can help reduce possible skin infections that scratching may cause. Their anti-inflammatory properties can soothe irritated skin.
How to Use Essential Oils for Hives
There are two ways to use essential oils.
- Take a soothing bath. It is good for calming hot, irritated, and stinging hives. Mix lukewarm water with a cup of colloidal oatmeal. After that, add 2-5 drops essential oils. Stir the mix using your hand and have a good soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Blend the oils. You can also pick one essential oil for hives and mix it with therapeutic carrier oil like coconut oil. Make sure you blend the oils properly before applying on your itchy bumps. For best results, use the mixture three times each day after washing the affected areas with mild soap and cool water. Keep the blended oils in a roll-on bottle or amber-colored bottle.
How to Choose the Best Essential Oils that Can Treat Hives
When buying essential oils for insect bites or hives, look for those products sold in dark blue or amber bottles. Avoid essential oils with vegetable oils. Also, make sure their Latin names and place of origin are on their labels.
Want more tips? Find out more in this video on YouTube.
Top Five Best Essential Oils for Skin Itch, Insect Bites, and Hives
The market is full of different brands of essential oils that promise instant relief for hives. Here are our top 5 essential oils you can use for hives:
Tea tree oil (melaleuca) has antifungal, antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties. This product contains pure melaleuca that can help in getting rid of hives, psoriasis, and eczema. It does not contain harmful chemicals, sulfates, parabens, and gluten.
- This product smells great, and it’s suitable for both kids and adults.
- This comes in a 2-pack which is great since this is a common oil that people tend to go through fairly quickly.
- This product is more expensive than other tea tree oils.
Lavender oil is also useful in treating hives as it has excellent therapeutic benefits. It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, and antimicrobial properties that will help protect your skin against hives. This product also promotes to relieve inflammation, redness, swelling, and itching.
- This lavender oil comes in a durable and amber-colored glass bottle that protects the oil from sunlight and harmful UV rays.
- This essential oil has the right, relaxing scent of lavender that can also help you sleep better at night.
- This item is a bit expensive than most brands of lavender oils.
Peppermint oil has antifungal, antibacterial, antihistamine, and antimicrobial properties that make it an excellent remedy for hives. These qualities promote faster healing of damaged skin, reducing pain, and easing the itchiness.
- This essential oil smells good.
- It comes in a glass bottle, which is a plus as the packaging maintains the oil’s quality and purity.
- This oil is versatile. You can mix it in any shampoo or moisturizer. It works well also with a diffuser.
- This is a fairly large bottle, and it might take some time to use it all.
Chamomile oil comes in two types: German and Roman. This product contains Roman chamomile that can fight all signs of hives, such as swelling, inflammation, irritation, itching, redness, and pain.
- Roman chamomile is a very grounding oil. It’s great to help you both physically and emotionally.
- You can use it in aromatherapy and massage.
- It blends well with other essential oils. You can mix it with peppermint or lavender oil. You can also mix it with any cosmetic or skin care products.
- This roman chamomile is only in a 10ml amber bottle. You may wish you had a bigger botle.
This helichrysum oil is also useful in treating hives. This natural essential oil comes with a potent antihistamine, anti-inflammatory, and antispasmodic properties. You can use Helichrysum oil to experience instant relief for irritation, inflammation, and other symptoms associated with hives.
- Helichrysum essential oils mix well with other oils like geranium oil, wintergreen oil, and juniper berry oil. This combination will be more useful for pain relief and treatment.
- This oil has a thick and warm woody and buttery scent. It smells nice and is ideal for those who are quite sensitive to scents.
- This product is more expensive than other similar essential oils.
It’s really hard to pick just one essential oil when your body needs support for hives. There are many fantastic choices available on the market. Sometimes it takes more than 1 essential oil to help your body when it is in need of help. Choosing any of the above essential oils can be a real help when it comes to using essential oils to help treat hives.